CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2, 1995 and May 2, 2010

This day stinks. There is no other way about it. May 2, 1995. I remember sitting in the kitchen at my parent's home in Yankton, SD with my mom's best friend Carolyn Larsen. It is lost on me as to who else was there. Maybe Grandma and Grandpa? I don't remember. What I do remember is being super hungry... at 2am. My mom had been rushed to the hospital at approximately 9pm the night before. She had been battling cancer for just under a year (from diagnosis), but her struggle had been going on for about 18 months. We knew she wasn't going to beat the cancer, but we never would have thought that it would end early that morning. I was a senior in high school. I had spent the early evening of May 1st at a friends house addressing graduation invitations. At about 9, I got a call saying mom was really sick, and I needed to come home. The rest of what happened from 9 until about 2 is a blur. At about 2, Carolyn and I popped a Totino's Party Pizza in the oven. Not too much later, I remember seeing my dad and Pastor Bob drive into the driveway. Complete and utter devastation. My 12-year-old sister and I were now motherless. Even when you know it is the inevitable, it still sucks. I don't think we got very much sleep that night. I remember calling my best friend, Marie, at 7:30 to tell her. She was in the shower. She was on my doorstep, dripping wet by 7:45. I don't know to this day if she knows how much her friendship meant to me. The next few days were a blur of planning, family, tears and hugs. Fast forward to May 2, 2010... today. For some reason the anniversary of her death has hit me especially hard this year. Don't know why. I think it might be because, in 2 more years, she will have been gone more than half of my life. Let's face it, that is just sad. Not only that, but my "2nd Mom", Carolyn passed away from brain cancer almost three years ago. So, I was having a bit of a pity party for myself. I think once in awhile it is deserved. Anyway, I joined the Catholic Church April 3, 2010. I love our church. Our priests are awesome. But, I think what I like best, is the music on Sunday mornings. The music director at the church, Ellen Soukup, is AMAZING. A love of music is something that I shared with my Mom, Dad and sister. I have always been a huge fan of gospel music. Ellen is an amazing vocalist and pianist who can bring tears to my eyes during a regular church service... this did not bode well for today's service! We had received our weekly Catholic newspaper Friday a week and a half ago. On one of the inside pages, I saw a large picture of Ellen. It was announcing that she would be putting on a benefit concert for the Pius (Catholic High School) students wanting to attend World Youth Day in Spain in 2011. Obviously, with my love for Ellen's music, my interest was piqued. So, I read on. The concert was May 2nd, and it was honoring Mary, and our mothers here on Earth and those in Heaven. Well, it was almost more than I could bear, but Jeff, Josh and I went to the concert. It was amazing, and Ellen didn't disappoint. She was amazing. So, that is how I spent part of my day. Celebrating my mom's life. Also, I asked my friends on Facebook to leave memories of my mom. And they too didn't disappoint. Thanks to all my FB friends. Thanks to my family for putting up with my crazy the last week or so. Mom- I love you so much, and miss you more each day. I wish you could be here to see the women that Kara and I have become, and to see your grandchildren. I know you would be spoiling them like crazy. Love, Katie... PS- Take care of Tommy for Josh... he misses him... we all do. Katie

No comments: